Roland A-6 VideoCanvas
Before the SP-808 Groovesampler there was the Roland A-6 Video Canvas. An equal looking unit but with some differences. The most important difference is that the A-6 has an hard drive installed with a maximum capacity of 2.1GB = 8.59 hours of sampling time. Besides that the HDD the A-6 doesn’t have the Mono synth and no D-beamer. But you have access to all the effects of the Groovesamper and the recorder functions in a more stable way.
Next to each other!
You are free to download as much as you want. Please consider a donation for the work I’ve been doing to keep these ‘old’ machines alive and kicking.
Thanks for your support!
Turning your SP-808 into an A-6
The procedure is very simple and I’ve created a video with all the steps to be taken. What do you need for this change?
- SP-808, of course
- UpdSMF – program to send MIDI files to your SP-808 (Mac OsX or Windows)
- Soundcard with MIDI (I used Native Instruments – Komplete Audio 6)
- Standard MIDI cable
- IDE hard drive (I used a 2.5″ HDD from an old laptop)
- 2.5″ to 3.5″ adapter (I bought one from the brand StarTech.com)
- Roland A-6 Quick Start Manuals (in English and Spanish!)
- Roland A-6 User Manuals (
Here is the video with all the to be taken steps:
and the video with the comparison:
ZIP back into the SP-808
In the video you will learn to create a copy of your SP-808 Groovesampler OS. To put it back you need to put the Zip Drive back into your SP-808. Otherwise you will not be able to install the SP-808 back to its original OS.
I hope you like this transformation.
Leave your experience in the comments below and you’re invited to subscribe to my YT-channel.